5/14/10

When Change doesn't feel like Change...


It's moments like these one's when I truly feel like a "Global Citizen",
or a Chameleon with strong adaptablity abilities.
Wouldn't It be great to have a Global Citizen's passport?...

The week has past, and I have the strangest feeling.
I find myself completly adapted into a new setting, a new society ( things are very different in Spain), I have a completly different routine and lifestyle. But yet, it feels so NORMAL, I question myself can change like this one really feel like no change at all? Good or Bad, things feel right here, partially because I left a part of me here. I can honestly say I EAT, SLEEP, and TALK like a Spaniard! ( my accent is a little bit of a mix of my Mexican- Basque- English Spanish).

I am finally enjoying the simple things a deprived myself from this year: I wake up have a nice European Breakfast, that is
three small Melba like toasts, jam or cheese, orange juice and a cafe con Leche. I get on Linea 1, and head 6 stops to SOL, the centre of Madrid and only a 15 minute commute. I arrive to my internship at 10:00am and get on this amazing old elevator to Cristinas office- and house. For those that don't know I was assigned to work for La Mujer Construye a Collective Organization of Women Architects in Spain. I am helping Cristina one of the founding members of Women Who Build ( English Name), to update and translate the website. I well get into details about my work later and will post photos of the space. So my first week of work has been great, a very different setting from my placement in Toronto and a completly different world ( the world of design&space) that I have begun to appreciate.

On an endnote, Someone once told me the more you travel the more languages you know ( even if their just different dialets) the more human you become, so YES I feel HUMAN, I feel ALIVE, I am THANKFUL.

1 comment:

  1. Your account of Madrid so far makes me want to lean Spanish and move there. I totally understand what you mean about it all feeling normal although it isn't, I believe that is the calling card of the true "global citizen". Looking fwd to more :)

    ReplyDelete